Monday, March 19, 2012

Interview!!!

1.      Are you in college?  Why did you choose the path you chose?

After taking a ‘gap’ year, I decided to continue my education. This is my third semester at community college, and so far I have taken all of my classes on-line. This format has been great so far, it has enabled me to keep a flexible schedule; I’m going to be tied down for the rest of my life with something – work, responsibilities, family, etc. – so I’m thankful for the freedom that on-line classes have offered. Since I don’t have to be on campus, I’ve been able to help out my cousin with her new little one, teach two of my sisters math, and help out my mom (she’s a single mom) with my other two sisters – I feed them and chauffeur them around J. I am, however, transferring to a local state college in the fall to get my degree in Secondary Special Education and English Literature. Since I am taking my pre-requisites through a community college and attending a public state college, I have been able to keep the costs down; I will most likely be a poor teacher, and not having massive student loans will be great!

2.      How do people you know respond to your decision?  Do you feel pressured one way or another?

My senior year of high school, I was extremely stressed about my future. I really wanted to go to college right away but the Lord’s timing was not my timing; it became evident that it would not be the wisest decision to go to college immediately after graduating high school. I sincerely love learning and being in school, but school tends to be my idol. School and learning, in and of themselves, are wonderful things! But not when you find your identity in them. After deciding to take time off indefinitely, I dreaded the question, “Where are you going to school” or “what are you doing these days?” I was concerned about what people would think when I told them I wasn’t in college; I didn’t want them to think that I wasn’t motivated enough or that I was wasting my life (according to society’s standards). Or, if I told them I was taking some time off, I felt like I needed to be doing something fascinating and noble, like going on a short-term mission trip to Africa or feeding the poor. As you can see, my heart was in the wrong place and I was so focused inward and concerned about my reputation, rather than truly serving the Lord – and going unnoticed in the process. I still struggle with finding my identity in academics, but the Lord has really been working in me and humbling me in the process. And I have to say, a lot of the pressure I felt to attend college right after high school was self-inflicted. Most people were very supportive of my decision.


3.      Share a little about how you feel the way in which you are preparing now will help your life vision.  Biblically speaking, how do you support the decision you made?

I believe that God gives us specific gifts and passions, through which we can serve him, glorify him, enjoy him, and be active kingdom builders. I think that I am a fairly patient person, I love working with teenagers, I enjoy reading, and I have a special place in my heart for people with intellectual, physical, and learning disabilities; I hope to employ these gifts and interests by serving God through teaching either Special Education or English Literature. Right now I work with a young boy who is Down and autistic; I hope that I am a blessing and witness to him and his family.



4.      Share some encouragement you might have for people who made the same decision you did.

There is no right decision – whether you chose to go to college or not, make sure that you are seeking God’s will for you life. I know, this is a bit ambiguous. Just make sure that you are praying throughout the whole process; pray that God will make His will your will, and that He will open and shut doors. Also, weigh your options and take into consideration the opportunity costs of attending college or not attending college. If you go to school, it will cost money and a lot of time; all things considered, is this the wisest decision? Or, if you don’t decide to go on to college, are you going to use your time wisely and in a way that is glorifying to God and will testify to His name?



5.      What is one thing that you think would be encouraging to you and others who made the same decision you did.

I can still be insecure about the fact that I chose to attend community college (versus a prestigious and expensive school); but I need to remind myself that for my situation, this was the wisest decision. I won’t graduate with a ton of debt, and since the classes were maybe a bit less challenging, I was able to devote more time to family, the Lord, and serving others. But again, there is not one right decision!


No comments:

Post a Comment